Sunday, January 31, 2010

First Up :: Black Bottomed cupcakes


With the dawning of 2010 I didn't have to wait long for a birthday to bake for.

Now, I think cupcakes for birthdays are quite a brilliant idea, but I have started to wonder if there is a downside to them in that you get less cake than you would with a full size birthday cake.

Personally I find that they're easier to prettify (real word? don't know. Definition? To make something look pretty), and I think there's something quite endearing about them too. Is there something slightly disappointing about getting cupcakes for your birthday instead of a big fat full-on cake? Thoughts, anyone?

Anyway, onto these babies:

Black bottom cupcakes :: Recipe courtesy of The Hummingbird Bakery

Every now and then, I look at the ingredients list on a recipe and think. 'really?! will that actually work?'
I had that very thought when I looked at the recipe for the bbc's.
This cake is two-in its nature - a little bit of sponge and a little bit of cheesecake. Not your usual combination, but hey, The Hummingbird Bakery seems to be doing pretty well so I'm not ready to dispute them just yet.

The chocolate bottom of the cake involves making a sponge-type cake with oil instead of butter - something that I've come across in carrot cake recipe's a lot, but never in chocolate cake.
Then there's the cheesecake element, which has egg in. Also seemed a little weird to me, but I just rolled with it, did as the recipe said, and procurred some delicious cupcakes.

Cake Count :: 12
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. Excellent stuff... it's going to be fun to follow along. Are you going to give us any recipes so we can try too?

    Lots of the muffin recipes you gave me have oil in too, and I was a bit dubious... but seems to work, though I'm not entirely sold on it over butter.

    For my flatmate's birthday I made both chocolate brownies and a batch of muffins... seemed to go down well even if non-traditional. It was fun putting single candles in all the little cakes.

    ReplyDelete